Youth homelessness - Parents/Carers

Young people are better off living at home or within their family network, as  long as it is safe for them to do so.  Homelessness at a young age should be avoided wherever possible.

  • Are you having constant fall outs with your 16/17 year old?

  • Do you think you would benefit from some help or support to make things easier at home?

  • Would you like more information on what their options are?

The Youth Homelessness Case Officer for your area can help you if your child/young person is aged 16/17.

Andrew Kennedy (Carlisle and Eden) on 07855 408488

Emmie Sutherland (Barrow and South Lakes) on 07825 313726

Helen Walker (Allerdale and Copeland) on 07825 340628

If your child is 18 or over, you can contact the local housing office at your local council.  Contact details can be found on the Useful Contacts page.

A young person can leave home at 16 and get a council flat...

No, this is not the case.  A person under the age of 18 cannot hold a tenancy in their own right by law.  They can access supported accommodation providing they are 16+ (and in Barrow they must have officially left school at the end of year 11).  However, supported accommodation is only for young people who are homeless, have nowhere else to go and could not manage to live alone without support.  For more information contact your local Youth Homelessness Case Officer.


Getting pregnant guarantees you a house...

Being provided with accommodation is connected to having nowhere else to go.  Being homeless and genuinely having nowhere else to go would mean you would have a priority need to be housed.  However, the law would still apply that a person under the age of 18 cannot hold a tenancy in their own right.  This would be the case if you were pregnant or not!  Pregnancy does not guarantee a house of your own!