Trading Standards - registering and licensing - credit

The responsibility for consumer credit regulation is with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).  Businesses operating in consumer credit may now need to be authorized by the FCA.

To find out whether your business requires authorisation, how to make an application and for further advice please visit the FCA website

The FCA has the responsibility for making sure that consumer credit adverts comply with the rules for authorised businesses.  However, Trading Standards will still have a role in ensuring that such adverts are not misleading.  If you think that a consumer credit advert is misleading please let us know by emailing us at

To make a complaint about a business which has offered you credit, or for an issue with a consumer credit contract, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 2231133.