Vehicle Access Requests

If you wish to form a vehicular access from your boundary to the carriageway of a public highway, you need to employ a contractor and obtain a permit from Cumbria Highways.  

To apply for a license or permit Email contacts below or telephone our Highways Hotline on 0300 303 2992.

Permits and licences, fees and charges.

Standard conditions, layout drawing and construction details will be sent out to you with the application form. A permit to carry out the work will be issued to your contractor who must agree a suitable starting date, duration of works and traffic management details with Cumbria Highways. When the work is completed to the satisfaction of Cumbria Highways you will receive a letter stating that the county council will take over responsibility for the maintenance of the vehicle access.

Please note that you may require planning permission to form an access onto the highway and it is important that you check with your local planning authority (District Council) to find out if this is required. Planning permission is required to lay impermeable driveways that allow uncontrolled runoff of rainwater from front gardens onto the highway. You must check with your planning authority and enclose copies of relevant documentation with your application.

If you require any information regarding your vehicle application please email the following: