How to apply for a correction to a registration

A correction can only be made when the information on the certificate is wrong. 

A correction is made in the register held at the office responsible for the area where the event occurred. 

For any event which took place outside Cumbria please contact the relevant Registration Service for guidance.  Registration Offices can be found on

For corrections to events that took place and were originally registered in Cumbria 

Generally, corrections fall into 2 categories: 

  1. Corrections that can be made at the Local Registration Service for the area where event occurred - these tend to be minor mistakes - for example - in a date of death, a place of birth, an address, an occupation
  2. Corrections that need to be sent to the General Register Office (GRO) - these tend to be mistakes involving names or if more than one minor mistake has been made. 

Please note: 

  • This guidance will not apply if you want to correct a death registration which was originally registered following a Coroner's Inquest. For further advice on how to apply for a correction where there has been an inquest, you should contact the register office for the area where the death occurred. 
  • This guidance will not apply if you want to change or remove the natural fathers' details on a birth registration. Further advice on how to change or remove the natural fathers details.
  • Due to a change in legislation from 4 May 2021, if a correction to a marriage entry is requested 5 years after the marriage date, the customer would automatically be charged the correction fee.

You will need to complete an application form. Application forms can be downloaded as follows:

Completed applications should be returned to: 

Cumbria Registration Service
Lady Gillford's House
Petteril Bank Road

When we receive the application for correction we will check if it can be corrected locally or if it requires authorisation from The General Register Office.

If the correction can be made locally, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to attend one of our offices.  We will advise what documents you should bring with you to the appointment and the fees that will apply for your correction.

If the application requires approval from The General Register Office, we will call you to explain the next steps and take payment for the correction.  We will then send the application on your behalf.

Cumbria Registration Service can be contacted as follows:


Telephone: 0300 303 2472

Alternatively, you can ring General Register Office on 0300 123 1837 who can also confirm where your application needs to be sent. 

For a correction to a death registration

  • A relative of the deceased 
  • A person who would have been able to register the death 

Please note:

  • If you are not the person who originally registered the death you must provide a letter from that person agreeing to the correction
  • Failure to do so may delay your application
  • The letter should contain their name, address and a contact telephone number and/or email address
  • We require documentary evidence of your relationship to the person shown on the original entry

For a correction to a birth registration

  • The mother
  • The father/2nd parent (if their details are included on the certificate)

For correction to a marriage registration

  • Either party to the marriage/civil partnership can apply, however both parties must be aware that the correction is being made. If both parties are no longer alive we will not be able to correct the registration

The original information will always be shown as it was first given, but a note will be written against the registration explaining what the correct information should be and the date when the correction was made. All certificates issued from that point on will include the note in the margin. 

You need to show that the information originally given at the time of the registration was wrong. You will have to provide a copy of the certificate and produce document(s) that clearly shows what the correct information should have been.  Where relevant, these document(s) should be dated or valid at the time of the death.

For suggested evidence required please see the guidance notes and application forms. Please do not post original documents. Where possible please send certified copies as referred to in the guidance notes under the section 'Do I need to send in original documents?'

If you are unable to include certified copies please advise us with a note attached to your application. We will then contact you to arrange a suitable time for you to take the original documents to your local office to be certified. 

Any correction to a registered entry will incur a fee. The fee amount depends on if the correction needs to be referred to the General Register Office or not. The fee is taken once the application has been received and is non-refundable if the correction is not authorised. Fee amounts can be found on our fees web page  under 'Fees for changes to initial registration'.