Changing your child`s forname(s)

Changing your Childs Forename(s)

The Births and Deaths Registration Act allows changes to forenames to be recorded in the birth register.  You can apply for this to be done if the new forenames were given within 12 months of the birth being registered.

The Fee

There is a statutory fee of £ 40.00 for each application.  This is a consideration fee and, as such, is non-refundable.  The fee must be paid at the point of application.

What you need to do

  • If your child was baptised in a Christian church you will need a 'Certificate of name given in baptism' completed by the vicar/minister of the church where the baptism took place.  A blank certificate is available from your local register office.

  • If your child has not been baptised you will need to complete a 'Certificate of name not given in baptism' available from your local register office.

  • You can take, or post, the completed certificate to the register office in the district where your child was born.  The registrar will add the new forename(s) to your child's entry in the birth register.  If posting the application you will need to contact the register office to determine how to pay the fee.

  • You should tell the registrar if you want a new birth certificate for your child.  If you buy a full certificate it will show both the original and the new forename(s).  If you buy a short certificate, only the new forename(s) will be shown.  The registrar will inform you of the cost of the certificates.  You should be aware that the passport office will want to see a full certificate rather than a short one.

Important Notes

  • If there are any Court Orders about the naming of your child you must comply with the directions of the court.

  • A change to your child's surname cannot be recorded in the birth register.

  • The changes to your child's forename(s) must have been made within 12 months of the birth registration.  You may have the change recorded in the birth register after the 12 months but you will need to provide documentary evidence that the name was changed within the 12 month period.

  • Once your child has been baptised you cannot record a change to the Christian names given in baptism.

  • You can only record a change to your child's forename(s) once.