Applications to register land as Town or Village Green

Section 15 of the Commons Act 2006 changed the legal definition of a town or village green and sets out the qualifying circumstances in which land may be newly registered.  Essentially anyone can apply to have land registered as a green if it has been used by local people for recreation 'as of right' (i.e. without permission, force or secrecy) for at least 20 years.

Section 15 also allows a specific period of grace, if recreational use 'as of right' is ended by the landowner, during which an application for registration as a green may be made.

An application will need to show that the land in question has been used:
• For a period of at least twenty years
• For the purposes of lawful sports and pastimes
• 'As of Right' (i.e. without force, secrecy or permission)
• By the inhabitants of a locality, or a neighbourhood within a locality

Alternatively, a landowner may voluntarily register land as a new village green, in which case it is not necessary to demonstrate a set period of use.

Please note there is currently no fee to make a Town or Village Green application. 

Application Form - CA9
Guidance - Town and village greens: how to register
Evidence Questionnaire (PDF 2MB)

Further information can be found on Defra's website and the Open Spaces Society