Adult Social Care - Health and Wellbeing

Health and wellbeing is a general term for feeling good about yourself, for example exercising, eating well and not smoking.

Your wellbeing is enhanced by supportive personal relationships, strong and involved communities, good health, financial and personal security, rewarding employment and a good quality environment.

Your wellbeing can be affected by things like worries about money, work, your home, the people around you and the environment you live in.

It can also be affected by whether you feel in control of your life, involved with people and communities and are affected by anxiety and isolation.

The NHS provides a wide variety of health related services.

More information and details about the services that are available where you live and a list of local GPs can be found on the NHS Choices website.

If you are an older person who needs any non urgent information or advice about your health issues, you can call the Age UK helpline on 0800 169 6565.

Your local pharmacists can advise you on minor ailments or illnesses.

If your main need for care relates to your health, the NHS is responsible for providing for all your needs.

NHS Continuing Healthcare is a package of continuing care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. It is also sometimes known as fully funded NHS care.

To be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, your main or primary need must relate to your health. Your needs will be assessed to decide if you are eligible.

If you are eligible, you are likely to have a complex medical condition that requires a lot of care and support.

Someone approaching the end of their life is also likely to be eligible, if they have a condition that is rapidly getting worse and may be terminal.

NHS Continuing Healthcare may be provided in any setting, for example:

  • in your own home - the NHS will fund all the care required to meet your assessed needs, or
  • in a care home or nursing home - the NHS will make a contract with the home and pay the full fees for your accommodation, as well as all your care.

Hospital discharges are conducted in accordance with the NHS and Community Care Act.

The hospital will tell us if you need an assessment to start or continue with your services on your return home.

Acute hospital discharges

We then have to complete an assessment of what social care eligible needs you may have and whether a package of care is required in line with the Delayed Discharges Act.

We will work with you and the hospital staff to arrange your aftercare and ensure that you have the necessary help and support in place for when you return home. 

Community hospital discharges

Sometimes you may be admitted to a local, community hospital rather than an acute hospital. You may also be transferred to a community hospital for rehabilitation following an acute hospital stay.

Discharge from a community hospital is not covered by the Delayed Discharges Act, but we will work together with health care staff to enable you to leave hospital as soon as you are ready.

Interim care and reablement

We can provide a range of services that, following a holistic assessment, may meet your and your carers identified needs. Wherever possible, care will be provided in your own home via interim or intermediate care.  This involves a range of professionals working closely together to help you recover faster from illness. The service may include professionals from occupational therapy, physiotherapy, nursing and social work.

The reablement service will work to help you achieve the level of functionality that you enjoyed before your hospital admittance.  

These services are for a maximum of six weeks, but can be as little as one or two weeks depending on your needs. 

Short term care

It may be that you need a short stay in some other accommodation just while you recover. 

What if I have already returned home and then find I need some support?

If having returned home you find you need some help to rebuild your confidence or ability to undertake personal care or daily living tasks then you can contact your local Adult Social Care office to make your own referral.

Dementia is the name given to a number of progressive conditions which have an effect on a person's memory and reasoning.  Alzheimer's Disease and Vascular Dementia are the most common forms of dementia.

Dementia usually affects older people and becomes more common with age.  About 6% of people over the age of 65 will develop some degree of dementia, increasing to about 20% over the age of 85.

In Cumbria, we want to focus on the outcomes that are important to people with dementia, their families and carers.  There are various sources of support across health and social care which can combine to enable people to "live well with dementia".

How does dementia support work?

Support for someone with a dementia often starts with your GP.  If you have been more forgetful in the last 12 months to the extent that it has significantly affected your life, talk to your GP.

You may be offered a referral to the local "Memory Matters" service for a full assessment.  This helps decide if you have a dementia or a condition that has similar symptoms.

Both Age UK and the Alzheimer's Society can offer specialist community support; for example, support groups involving other people affected by dementia.

The Dementia Adviser Service from Alzheimer's Society can offer more detailed information.

A range of support from Adult Social Care may be available for people living with dementia and their carers to help them be as independent as possible.  This includes support at home, daily living equipment, telecare and carers support.

End of life care is support for people who are approaching death.  It helps them to live as well as possible until they die, and to die with dignity.  It also includes support for their family or carers.

End of life care includes palliative care. If you have an incurable illness, palliative care will help to make you as comfortable as possible by relieving pain and other distressing symptoms, while providing psychological, social and spiritual support for you and your family or carers.

End of life care also covers legal issues, such as creating a lasting power of attorney, so that the person or people of your choice can make decisions about your care if you are no longer able to do so.

Use the links opposite or contact your local Adult Social Care office to find out more information.