Adult Social Care - Getting Care and Support from Adult Social Care

We can provide a care and support assessment for any adult in Cumbria who requests one.  This includes a wide range of people in different circumstances, for example: 

  • people who need or who think they need care and support;
  • people who have always organised and paid for their own care and support;
  • people who look after others - this is called a Carer's Assessment; and
  • people who are in prison in Cumbria.

You can ask for an assessment from us or you can ask for someone to do this on your behalf.  For further information, please use the links on the left hand menu, or contact your local Adult Social Care office.

You may also be able to carry out part of an assessment yourself. An assessment will help us identify: 

  • your care and support needs;
  • how these needs impact on your wellbeing and quality of life;
  • the outcomes you'd like to achieve in your day to day life;
  • if you would benefit from preventative services;
  • if you are eligible for care and support from the council; and
  • an indication of how much money could be made available to meet the cost of this care and support.

Your assessment will be carried out by a member of our staff such as a Social Worker, Social Care Worker or Occupational Therapist or by another organisation we have chosen to work on our behalf such as Carers Support Cumbria.  Your assessment will be proportionate your level of your needs, so people with less complex needs will have simpler assessments.

If you have a carer who helps support you, you can ask to involve them in your assessment.  They may also ask for an assessment of their own care and support needs and also a carer's assessment. Your assessment will take into account any support your carer provides to you.

It is very important that your assessment reflects your own preferences and how you like to live your life so we like to involve you as much as possible. If:

  • you have substantial difficulty in being involved in your assessment, perhaps as a result of a learning disability or dementia, and
  • you have no family, friend or neighbour to advocate for you by helping you with the assessment,

we will arrange for an independent advocate to help you express your point of view to us.

After your assessment, we will give you information and advice. If you would benefit from prevention services, we will help you to put these in place as part of an overall care and support plan. We will do this whether or not you are entitled to long-term support.

The assessment will help us decide if you are eligible for longer term care and support from us. The Care Act has introduced a national eligibility threshold for care and support.  This means that all councils consider the same level of care and support needs when they assess what help they can give you.

As soon as possible after your assessment, we will also carry out an assessment of your finances to work out how much, if any, you would be expected to contribute to the cost of  your care and support. 

We will then advise you:

  • what level of support we think you need - we call this your 'assessed needs';
  • what level of financial support we may be able to offer - called your 'indicative amount'; and
  • how we can help you to make arrangements to put in place the support you need.