Access and Inclusion - Child Performance Licensing

The Legislation

The Children (Performance and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014 sets out the arrangements that must be made to safeguard children when they take part in certain types of performances, paid sport or paid modelling and what the law requires of people responsible for putting on these performances and activities. 

The legislation is in force to secure the health, proper treatment, and education of children from the day they are born through to the day when they cease statutory school age. Statutory school age ends on the day the child can legally leave school, which is the last Friday in June of the school year in which the child reaches 16 years of age. It does not finish on their sixteenth birthday.

The term 'Entertainment' includes:

1.       Taking part in a performance where the public pay to have access.

2.       Any performance in licensed premises, (hotel, public house etc.)

3.       Any broadcast performance.

4.       Any performance not falling within (3) above but included in a programme service.

5.       Any performance that is being recorded for use in a broadcast, programme service or film.

6.       Taking part in modelling or sport for which the child or any other person receives payment. 

Applying for a Child Performance Licence

Every child who is taking part in a performance or activity, which falls under Section 37 of the Children and Young Persons Act 1963 must have a licence or exemption issued by the council in which the child resides.

The person responsible for the production or organisation of the activity must make the application for the licence.

Applications for Child Performance Licences should be submitted, in full, at least 21 days in advance of the scheduled performance. In exceptional circumstances, Licences may be issued if late applications are received; but this will be decided on a case by case basis. Please contact the Local Authority to check if this is possible, before making a submission. 

Requests for Child Performance Licences less than 5 days in advance of the performance will be refused.

Before issuing a licence, we must be satisfied with the arrangements for the supervision and welfare of the child; that the child is fit to take part in the performance and that their education will not suffer as a result of the performance.

The licence holder is responsible, throughout the period covered by the licence, for ensuring that the child is in the charge of a responsible adult. 

This person is known in law as a Chaperone.

To find out about the regulations that apply to children in Performance, including details of the Child Performance Licences, please see the 'A Guide for Chaperones and Performance Licence Holders' document below.


Chaperones in Entertainment

During a Performance the child must be supervised at all times by a Chaperone approved by the Local Authority, unless they are under the direct supervision of their parent or legal guardian.

To apply to become a Chaperone you will be required to complete an Application Form, provide two passport sized photos, undertake some online Safeguarding Children training and attend an interview with the Child Employment and Entertainment Officer.

The Child Employment and Entertainment Officer will need to undertake a number of checks, which include a DBS Check, a Social Care Records check and obtain two references. Applications for Chaperone Approval can take approximately 8 to 12 weeks due to the number of checks which must be undertaken.  Once issued, the Chaperone Approval is valid for 3 years.

To find out more about the role of a Chaperone please read 'A Guide for Chaperones and Performance Licence Holders' document below.

Key documents

 Title  Date  Size
5/10/2017 1307k
24/06/2015 101k

Contact us

If you would like to apply to become a Chaperone or obtain further information regarding Child Performance Licences, please contact us on the details below:

Child Employment Team, Access & Inclusion, West Cumbria House, Jubilee Road,
Workington, Cumbria, CA14 4HB

Email: or