A marriage at an approved premises

Since April 1995, civil marriages have been allowed to take place in other buildings, apart from register offices, that have been approved by local authorities as a suitable venue for civil marriages. These are known as Approved Premises and generally include hotels, stately homes and other historic buildings.

Please note that currently the law does not allow for a civil marriage to take place in a private house, in open air, a marquee, or in any other moveable structure, such as a boat or hot air balloon.

You can get married in any Approved Premises in any district in England and Wales, although you will still need to give Notice of Marriage in the district(s) where you live.  A full list of all Approved Premises in England and Wales can be obtained from the General Register Office.  A list of local venues is also available from each Registration Office within Cumbria.

Ceremonies at Approved Premises will follow a similar format to that in Register Offices.

Many of our Approved Premises are set amidst landscaped and beautiful gardens in which to have your photographs taken.  The staff at Approved Premises will be delighted to discuss various arrangements that can be made to make your day really special.

To arrange a wedding in an Approved Premise you must first contact the manager or owner of the premises of your choice to make provisional arrangements.  You must then contact the relevant Registration Office to ensure that the registration officers are able to attend your marriage on that date and time.

Please note we can not guarantee to reach your venue during periods of extreme weather.  We will however endeavour to attend as soon as it is safe to do so and regret we will not accept liability for any loss in such instances.  We would be obliged if you could take this in to account when choosing the venue and date for your ceremony.