Access Keys:

Skip main menu

27/3/2012 - Public advice on holding a street party

People planning street parties are being advised to contact their district councils at least six weeks in advance for guidance on how to manage road closures and other practical advice.
A handy, practical guide for anyone looking to hold a street party is now available at
The guidance includes an application for road closure orders for street parties which the district councils will be using to process applications under their powers under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. This will allow them to advise the emergency services and highways authority of any road closures and also allow party holders to temporarily close a road with the minimum of fuss and bureaucracy.
The website addresses and telephone numbers for Cumbria's six district councils are as follows (please get in touch no later than six weeks before the planned event so that arrangements can be discussed and notices issued): - tel: 01900 702702 - tel: 01229 876346 - tel: 01228 817000 - tel: 01946 598520 - tel: 01768 817817 - tel: 0845 0504434.
The guidance is intended for street parties which are to be held in quiet residential roads or streets for residents/neighbours only.
Where the street parties require major traffic management (for example, where they are proposed to be held on main roads in a town/village), the district councils may need to liaise with the county council to consider any traffic management implications. More complicated road closures may need to advertise an order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for which there will be a charge.