Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Information and Advice About Adult Social Care

Getting access to good quality information and advice is vital to getting the most out of life, staying healthy and remaining independent for longer.  Some people just need to know what is available to them in their local area.  Leaflets, directories, information providers and the internet can help with this. Others need advice and the opportunity to discuss their situation with someone with the time and knowledge to talk through the options and help them make choices.

The Care Act says information and advice should be available to the whole population and about a wide range of topics, not just care and support. This should focus on helping people get access to the care and support they need.  We work closely with the many organisations in Cumbria who provide information and advice to ensure this is available to people when they need it.  For example, information and advice is available from:

  • Neighbourhood Care Independence preventative services - call:
                 0844 967 1885 for Carlisle, Eden, Barrow and South Lakeland
                 0844 384 3843 for Allerdale and Copeland; 
  • the Prison Information Service.

You may also find useful information through:

  • local district council housing departments and housing associations; 
  • health services such as your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, NHS 111 helpline or NHS Choices website

  • voluntary organisations and charities like Age UK, Citizen's Advice Bureau, Alzheimer's Society, Mind and Mencap; and 
  • Citizens Advice consumer service 03454 04 05 06 

  • Allerdale Citizens Advice Webpage.

Cumbria Independent Living Guide
The wide range of support available to help people live independently in their own homes.
Find Me Good Care
Advice and information about care and support provided by the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE)