Access Keys:

Skip main menu

Daily Living Equipment and Adaptations

There is a wide range of equipment available to help you maintain your independence:
  • simple equipment, such as bath boards which sit across a bath, grab rails around the house, raised toilet seats, chair raisers, etc.;
  • specialist equipment, such as bath lifts, hoists, pressure cushions and mattresses, etc.; and
  • adaptations, such as widening doors, ramps for wheelchairs, stair lifts, level access showers, etc.

Simple equipment

If you are interested in simple equipment, you can:

  • Visit an advice centre, such as at a local branch of AgeUK
  • Use our online assessment which helps you work out what your needs are and what equipment might help with these
  • Visit an equipment retailer, i.e. shops and businesses selling equipment (remember to look out for the 'accredited retailer' logo).

Some people may be able to get simple equipment free of charge through Adult Social Care or the NHS.  Contact your local Adult Social Care office for more information.  You will need to be assessed as eligible for equipment and will then be given an equipment prescription.

This prescription can then be taken to any accredited retailer and exchanged for the item you need.  The prescription will provide you with a basic item but you can pay extra to upgrade this to a more expensive one in a colour or design of your choice.  The equipment will come with fitting instructions but some retailers will provide a free fitting service.

Specialist equipment

If you need specialist equipment, these will need to be arranged through Adult Social Care or the NHS, so please contact your local Adult Social Care office for more information. 

If you have any concerns or queries about your specialist equipment please contact us on 0300 303 8625.  If a fault develops outside of office hours an answer machine message will provide instructions of how to get further assistance.


If you need adaptations to be made to your home, these can be arranged through Adult Social Care or the NHS.  If the work required is small, this may be provided by your landlord or the council.  If major work is needed to your home then you may be able to get a grant to help pay for the work.  You may be asked to contribute to the cost of the work for a major adaptation.  Contact your local Adult Social Care office for more information. 

Returning equipment

If you no longer need your equipment you can contact us on 0300 303 8625 to make arrangements to have it collected or for details of where you can drop it off.  Items issued through a prescription are classed as non-returnable and are excluded from the collection service.

Cumbria Support Directory
Online directory of services and support available in Cumbria
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) from 8 April 2013 for people aged 16 to 64 with a health condition or disability.