Volunteers are vital in making Cumbria the great place it is. From helping clear pavements of snow to caring for the elderly, volunteers help provide services that really make a difference to the lives of thousands of Cumbrians.
Thinking of volunteering?
There are opportunities for you to volunteer right across the county. Volunteering can help you add employability skills to your CV; secure you a place on the course of your dreams; build your self-confidence and make new friends.
Whatever your age, location, interests and how much time you’re able to give, there’s a volunteering opportunity that’s right for you.
We need people to help in the following areas:
So get more involved with your community and become :
- an on call firefighter – to keep your local community safe
- a foster carer – looking after children who need a caring home. This can be just giving people a break for the weekend or those who need a home longer term.
- a community volunteer – for the fire service doing homes safety visits and educational activities with schools
- a volunteer driver - giving someone a lift to the dentist or the supermarket
- a snow champions – help keep your roads and pavements clear of snow and ice
- a Nightstop volunteer – and open your home to a young person who has nowhere to stay that night
- a community volunteer- tackling loneliness in your community
You can find up-to-date volunteering vacancies in your area simply by entering your post code into the ‘Do-It’ search box, below. You can also contact local volunteer agencies using the contact details on the right.
If you need help in recruiting new volunteers you can register with Cumbria CVS Volunteer Centres who can help you to:
Refer volunteers to your organisation
Upload your volunteering opportunities to the National Volunteering Database
Advertise your volunteering opportunity online and locally
Display your leaflets and posters at exhibitions and events
Invite you to local Volunteer Co-ordinator Network meetings to share information and good practice
Invite you to be involved in local volunteer recruitment events
Offer you advice and support in good practice in volunteering
To register your volunteering opportunities please contact Judith Holmshaw, County Volunteering Co-ordinator for Cumbria CVS on 01768 800350 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about how Cumbria County Council supports volunteers and voluntary and community organisations, email: email@example.com Strategic Policy Advisor for Third Sector Development & Support.
Be inspired to volunteer in Cumbria - check out this short clip about volunteering in Cumbria on you tube: