Access Keys:


Tel: 08457 125 737


Childcare brokerage service

Have you been unable to find the childcare you need?  Our 'Brokerage Service' may be able to help.  We will contact providers on your behalf and do our best to help you find suitable childcare. 

Childcare brokerage service

Choosing childcare

Skip main menu

Finding the right care for your child is really important.  Give yourself plenty of time to look in to different options available. 

You can contact Children and Families Information Service to discuss your requirements and find out about childcare providers in your area.

A registered childminder is a self-employed person who provides care in their own home for other people's children.   Many offer flexible working hours, including out of school care and some work at weekends. 

A childminder must be registered with Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education), if they provide care for someone else's child for 2 hours or more a day and who gets paid for this service

A day nursery offers care and learning opportunities for children up to the age of 5. Some are registered to care for babies from six weeks old.

Most are open 8.00am - 6.00pm and care is usually provided all year, they may also provide care for older children at breakfast, after school and holiday clubs.

A pre-school offers fun activities and learning opportunities to children from the age of 3 to 5 although some groups take younger children.  Session are held during school term time. 

The length of sessions can vary from 2 and a half to 4 hours and some offer full time childcare. 

An out of school club offers care and play for school aged children at times when the school is closed.  Clubs are often based on school sites, although off-site clubs may collect children from local schools, either using transport or a 'walking bus'.

An after school club usually runs from 3.30pm - 6.00pm during term time.  A breakfast club provides care before school starts from 8.00am - 9.00am.  Holiday playschemes offer play, activities and outing from children during school holidays. Typically open from 8.00am - 6.00pm and other will offer part-time hours.

Creches provides care for children while their parents or carers are occupied nearby.  This care is offered in some colleges, shopping and leisure centres.

It is short-term, occasional care for children under eight years.

Someone aged 18 or over who cares for children of up to two families at any one time, wholly or mainly at the home of one of the children.  A home childcarer can be self employed.

A nanny is someone you employ to care for your children in your home.  They can live with you or come to work daily.

Duties are typically focused on childcare and household tasks related to the children, such as preparing food.

An au pair is someone who comes to live with you from another country to help take care of your children and do light housework for 25 hours a week.  An au pair can live in the UK for up to 2 years.

Someone you employ to care for your child in your own home.  A parent's help will take your child to school in the morning, go back to your house to do some light housework, collect your child from school and look after them until you get home.

Will look after your children in your home for short periods of time.  Babysitters do not have to register with any agency because they are looking after your children in your own home.  There is no law in England to prevent anyone of any age babysitting but it is advisable to use someone over 16 who is mature enough to keep your children safe.

Provides a meeting place for adults while their children play together and take part in activities.  The groups provide an excellent support network.