Curious to find out more about your family history? Your house? Your town or village? Your industrial history?
Cumbria Archive Service has Archive Centres in Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven and can help you discover the answers to many of your questions!
It cares for parish registers, other church records, wills, electoral registers, maps and plans, poor law records, title deeds, and photographs. The archives of many families, businesses, local authorities, solicitors, societies and schools also help form a fascinating record of all aspects of life in the county. We provide:
* Places in our Archive Centres where you can look at our archives for yourselves
* An education service for local schools, colleges, students and teachers
* Information and advice on the preservation and conservation of archives
* Facilities for official organisations, churches, businesses and members of the public to donate or deposit archives for safe-keeping
* Exhibitions and talks on the work of the Archive Service and archives in our care